African-American Methodist Church
In 1851 Andrew Holt, an emancipated African American man donated the small parcel for the construction of a church “for the special but not exclusive benefit of coloured people.”
The property site of the hotel had a history in New London before the building of the hotel. It was originally owned by the Colonel James Callaway who was a patriot in the Revolutionary War and an influential man in Virginia during his life time.
Bedford Alum Springs Hotel
Holt - Ashwell House
Situated on what was Lot 17 in the original town, it was the home of Andrew Holt, an emancipated African American who was able to earn enough income as a baker to purchase the freedom of his wife and two sons.
Mead’s Tavern is the oldest standing structure in the Central Virginia area and the only remaining building from New London’s colonial era. William Mead acquired Lot 6 and constructed what was described as a “magnificent house” in 1763.
New London Methodist Chruch North
The New London Methodist church was built in 1850 several years after a congregation was organized. The church was home to circuit riding ministers who would travel to several different churches throughout the year. The New London Methodist Church belonged to the Bedford Alum Springs circuit.